Benefits Of Using Onion Juice For Hair & general Health
Onions are the world’s most popular and versatile vegetables.
It is found in a wide variety of recipes and preparations, including salads, gravies, and carries.
It has also been used in traditional medicine for many centuries because of their promising health benefits as well as curative properties.
The sharp, pungent smell of onion is associated with its sulphur compound, known as allyl propyl disulphide.
Apart from producing flavour, onions also provide essential nutrients as well as health promoting phytochemicals.
They are rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamine, pyridoxine, and folic acid.
They are also a good source of dietary fibers. In addition, they contain iron, copper, potassium, phosphorous, and calcium.
They are also associated with a high protein quality, which refers to the ratio of mg amino acid per gram protein.
Onions also contain a flavonoid known as quercetin and Kemferfol, which are antioxidants.
The role of antioxidants is to slow down the rate of oxidative damage to the cells as well as tissues of the body. Quercetin is known to help eliminate free radicals in the body, among other important functions.
Anti-oxidant plays an important role to slow down the process of aging and provides the abundance of health benefits.
Onions also contain sulphur antioxidant compounds, including dilly disulphide, diallyl trisulphides, as well as allyl propyl disulphide.
All these three compounds convert to allicin via an enzymatic action as a result of disruption of their cell surface during chopping and crushing.
Onions also contain phytochemical compounds referred to as allium and Allyl disulfide, which are associated with anti-diabetic and antimutagenic properties.
Onions are low in calories, one serving of onions only provides 45 calories. They are also free of sodium, cholesterol, as well as fat. They also contain several other essential nutrients.
How Onion Help for Healthy Hairs
Onions can be used to prevent hair loss and lead to hair growth when applied topically.
Onion juice has been used since ancient times as a natural remedy for thinning and greying hair.
Recent scientific research has shown the many different possibilities of how onions can be used in hair care.
Most of these possibilities are associated with its antibacterial, antifungal, as well as anti-parasitic properties that help keep the scalp clean.
This means that the hair roots become unclogged and dandruff is completely eliminated once onion juice is applied topically on the scalp.
Onions can also be used to effectively treat male pattern baldness which results from genetic sensitivity to Dihydrotestosterone (DHD).
They provide nourishment the hair follicles which have been blocked by DHT sensitivity or as a result of poor nutrition from an unhealthy diet.
Sulphur, which is one of the nutrients found in onions, which is an essential part of every cell in the human body, especially the nails, skin, and hair.
Sulphur helps decrease inflammation, reinvigorates, as well as regenerating hair follicles growth, leading to improved hair health. In addition, Sulphur helps improve blood circulation, which also contributes to better hair health and faster growth.
Oxidative stress also contributes to the greying and thinning hair as a result of a build-up of hydrogen peroxide as well as a decrease in catalase, a natural antioxidant.
When onion juice is applied topically to the scalp, it helps increase the levels of catalase on the surface of the skin, thus reducing the build-up hydrogen peroxide.
This in return helps boost the health of the hair.
There are other several benefits of onions for hair health.
They include the following:
-Regular application of onion juice topically helps thicken hair by improving its volume.
– Its antibacterial properties help in treating a number of scalp and hair infections as a result of yeast and fungi.
– Onions contain great healing properties that help make them effective for healing certain conditions that affect hair, including androgenic alopecia (female pattern baldness).
– Onions are an effective remedy for hair loss resulting from hormonal changes or the natural aging process.
– Onions are a natural remedy for treating hereditary hair loss.
Other Health Benefits of Onions
Onions are associated with a number of health benefits, including the following:
-They are rich in flavonoids and polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants. Their role is to protect the body cells against damage resulting from free radicals.
– Cardiovascular benefits: Onions are a heart –healthy food. The Sulphur which is contained in onions helps prevent blood clotting, making onions a natural blood thinner. They also help lower cholesterol levels.
– Anti-inflammatory properties: The presence of Sulphur in onions helps make them effective in reducing inflammation. It is an ideal addition to the diet plans of people who struggle with inflammation issues on a regular basis.
– Blood sugar regulation: Onions are rich in chromium. And chromium is useful to regulate the blood sugar levels.
– Bone health: Onions have been shown to increase bone density, especially in both pre- and post- menopausal women.
A study which was published in ‘Menopause ‘in 2009 found that women in these two stages of life and who ate onions on a daily basis had a higher bone density than their counterparts who shunned onions.
– Cancer protection: A particular study conducted at the University of Maryland showed that onions contain cancer –fighting properties.
They were found to help reduce the risk of ovarian, breast, lung, endometrial, prostate, as well as colon cancers.
The reasons why onions have the ability to fight cancer are because they contain quercetin and secondly, enhance the body’s ability to absorb this substance.
Quercetin is associated with cancer-fighting abilities.
– Improving Digestion. Because onions are rich in fibers, they have the ability to improve digestion as well as the bowel movement.
In addition, they contain a certain type of soluble fibers which is known to promote good bacterial growth in the gut.
Anti –bacterial and anti- fungal properties of onions
These two properties that are associated with onions help to keep the scalp clean.
When onion juice is applied topically to the scalp, it helps unclog hair roots as well as removing dandruff, thus protecting your scalp from getting attacked by bacteria and fungi.
This will go a long way in promoting good hair health.
Onions can be used for improving hair health and can also provide other health benefits.
They are also readily available and affordable. It can be a good idea to include onions for healthy hairs in your diet plan.